Corporate Counsel, Content Acquisition and Business Development
Brooklyn, New York
Compensation: 225000 - 250000
Philo is a small, ambitious startup building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with intelligent search, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we are building the TV-watching experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our customers and the people on our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work and have a big impact on the product while supporting each other in a collaborative environment. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. Promoting inclusion and diversity is a core part of our values, and we believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to build the best product for our customers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes one of the founders of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including HBO, Discovery, AMC, A&E, and Viacom.
About our Legal Team
Philo’s Legal Team consists of a full-time Chief Legal Officer (“CLO”) supported by a small in-
house group and several prominent law firms. We are expanding our in-house capabilities as
we reduce our reliance on outside legal resources.
Philo’s Legal Team Vision Statement is: To partner with our phellow Philons, delivering practical
legal and strategic business solutions that empower Philo to create the television experience
everyone who loves TV has always wanted.
Philo is reinventing television, and the Legal Team touches every facet of the company’s
business, including business development, programming, HR, advertising, marketing,
engineering and product development, and corporate matters. Philo is moving at warp speed,
and all its operating teams are multi-dimensional and interconnected.
What You'll Do
Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer (“CLO”). Your principal responsibilities as our newest team
member are to work closely with the Principal Counsel, Content Acquisition & Business
Development in supporting Philo’s content acquisition and business development deal teams by
strategizing, reviewing, negotiating, and drafting complex commercial contracts, including
network affiliation agreements, FAST deals, production agreements, platform deals, vendor
MSA’s, IO’s and SOW’s. We’ll need you to step in to help with other legal matters, too, like releases, clearances, takedowns, IP questions and everything else you can imagine (and things
you can’t) pops up in an extraordinarily dynamic business such as ours. You will also assist the CLO in developing the Legal Team’s best practices, crafting standard
legal document templates, and growing the Legal Team’s in-house capabilities and resources.
Extensive, relevant legal and business experience and expertise are just the ante for this
position, you must be perceptive, proactive, confident (but not arrogant) and collaborative.
What You'll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Active membership in the New York Bar.
- 7 - 10 years of in-house counsel and law firm experience with programmers, MVPD’s
and/or vMVPD’s working on complex commercial contracts, including network affiliation
agreements, FAST deals, production agreements, and platform deals.
- A passion for the media and entertainment business and law.
- The ability to work constructively and closely with others and provide practical, business-
savvy legal advice and strategy while working in a high-pressure setting. Most of all, you
must be a team player.
- Exceptional communication, project management, organization, and multi-tasking skills.
- The ability to provide practical, business-savvy legal advice and strategy while working
in a high-pressure setting.
- Dependable exercise of independent and sound judgment and discretion in all matters.
- The ability to work effectively with colleagues located in satellite offices or who may be
working from home.
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Compensation: Includes annual salary between $225k- $250k depending on experience and location, company stock options, and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5250 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $1250 Annual home office + TV stipend
- $500/month ($6,000/year) bonus for employees who commit to working at least 3 days per week in our offices
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors